Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Backpacking and Financial Comments

I returned a few days ago from the annual backpacking trip to the Marble Mountain Wilderness which has been a ritual for me for over 30 years now. As the aging process continues, I noticed this year at age 60 and wearing a 40 pound pack, I had a more difficult time. It's a reminder that power walking isn't enough to prepare me for that trek.

Upon my return, I noticed the following:

* The bailout may hit $23.7 trillion. This number is so large that it loses its significance with the human mind.

* Talks continue for a second stimulus package, yet less than 25% of the $700B of the TARP money has been spent. And where is the accounting of the first stimulus package to see how effective it has been? Congress continues to create ways to throw the money our way yet needs to take restrain themselves, understanding how the process works: increased unemployment continue months after the recovery is silently underway.

* California has reached a budget agreement. I noticed that $4B is coming from local governments which will put the squeeze on them and the fallout will continue. Also, some of next years income will be shifted into this year by accelerating income tax. These are creative examples of using debt to finance this state. The next fiscal year may be more challenging than this one because of these maneuvers. We didn't bite the bullet. We just delayed the inevitable.

Hope everyone has found a way to take a meaningful break from their hectic lives. In my opinion, there is nothing like living with Mother Nature and her inhabitants for a short while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home